FVU Start is a free course for people who want to improve their fundamental Danish skills. With FVU Start, you will learn to express yourself more fluently and improve your ability to understand what is being said – even when people are speaking (too!) quickly.
Sounds like a course for you?
- For people who want to improve their proficiency in spoken Danish – especially their vocabulary.
- A good choice for students who want to continue on to FVU Reading or Mathematics.
- You already speak some Danish – A2 to B1+ level – and you can read and write Danish at the A1 level or higher.
- 80 lessons over a period of 10 or 20 weeks
- Classes once or twice a week in the mornings or evenings
- Two hours of homework weekly
- 12-20 students per course
- A FREE of charge course if you have a Danish CPR number
Everyday spoken Danish
FVU Start is a great way to improve your spoken Danish, with an emphasis on conversation and listening. Working with your teacher and fellow students, the interactive classroom instruction will help you build the skills to make your spoken Danish more fluent and understandable.
Improve your spoken Danish
Spoken Danish, conversation and listening
- We strengthen your listening and conversational skills.
- We work actively to expand your vocabulary in Danish.
- We practice pronunciation so that your Danish becomes easy to understand.
Reading and writing homework assignments are also used to actively introduce basic grammar and build your vocabulary. In short, you will receive instruction that covers all of the relevant language skills at your level, giving you the vocabulary and grammatical knowledge it takes to begin using Danish in your everyday life.
FVU Start is the right choice for students who plan to continue on to FVU Reading.
Danish conversational skills
Communication strategies and practice
The course instruction is thematic and can be adapted to the special needs and interests of students. You’ll get:
- Various communication strategies: informational, praise, argumentation, etc.
- Extensive opportunities to work on your conversation skills and pronunciation – we practice Danish phonetics, phrases and figures of speech.
- Exercises to improve your vocal expression, intonation, eye contact, etc, giving you more confidence in your Danish skills.
All of our courses, including FVU Start, are based on the levels defined in CEFR. We have learning goals corresponding to CEFR at all course levels. This gives you a clear understanding of what the course aims to achieve and the results you can expect.
Your teacher maintains an awareness of the learning goals and ensuring that you build the skills needed to make your Danish more fluent and understandable. You will also receive individual feedback on what you can do outside of the classroom to improve even more, depending on the specific challenges you face in your efforts to master Danish.
FVU Start courses are held at Copenhagen Language Center’s building at Valdemarsgade 16. You can attend classes in the morning or evening and once or twice a week, according to what best suits your schedule.
Lessons/days per week
|8:45 - 12:15||8 lessons/2 days or 4 lessons/one day|
|16:30 - 20:00||8 lessons/2 days or 4 lessons/one day|
You must already speak Danish at A2 level or higher, and you must be able to read and write Danish at the A1 level or higher. The aim is to prepare you for FVU Reading or another FVU course.
We require students enrolled in FVU Start to be active participants. We expect you to regularly attend classes and to make time for homework every week. This is essential for keeping up with course instruction and achieving the desired learning goals.
You must pass a screening before starting the course. The screening is a short conversation and written test that takes about 90 minutes, where we will determine whether FVU Start is the right course for you. You can sign up for an FVU screening here.
Questions about FVU Start
You are always welcome to contact us by e-mail or telephone, or to drop by our offices in Vesterbro.