Is this course for you?
- A course for improving your pronunciation – so that Danes can understand you.
- A practical course in Danish pronunciation that focuses intensively on the most common challenges.
- The course is suitable for all, regardless of current skill level.
- 16 lessons – 8 weeks
- Classes once a week from 17:30 to 19:00 or 19:15 to 20:45
- 1-2 hours of homework per week
- 12-20 participants per course
Danish Pronunciation Course
(per course unit)
The price includes
- Exercises, videos, examples and instruction
- Our digital platform
- Course materials
√ Without deposit and voucher scheme and with no limited timeframe to learn Danish
√ With flexibility to take breaks between courses and shift between course types as it suits your schedule and work situation
√ Available to everyone with good familiarity with English and at least 12 years of schooling.
√ Classes are tailored to your needs instead of being aimed at passing centralized module tests
Our Danish Pronunciation Course
Most people who learn Danish agree that the sounds of the Danish language are impossible! Danes do not articulate even half of the words as they are written, and many of the sounds are swallowed in the process. And Danes stare at you in bewilderment if you slightly mispronounce even a single vowel.
Danish phonetics are in a league of their own, and many people find that pronouncing Danish words is a barrier to their ability and courage to speak Danish in everyday life. With an intensive pronunciation course, you can get a grip on the sounds so that you understand Danes better – and so the Danes understand you!
Our course in Danish pronunciation covers all skill levels and can help you wrap your head around Danish pronunciation. We follow a fixed program of eight classroom sessions, each of which features a specific theme that has stumped many.
- The vowel system (the Danish vowels)
- “Sinking” vowels (vowels that are pronounced differently than they are written)
- The soft “d”
- The Danish “r”
- Reduction of commonly used words (words that are contracted when spoken, for example: tager = ta'r, skal = sga, kan = ka', ikke = eg, vil = ve)
- Stressed and unstressed syllables
- Pronunciation of endings – so-called reduction and assimilation (words that are reduced when spoken, for example: trappen = trabm, manden = mand'n)
- Sentence melody (stress and rhythm in sentences)
How do you say “Rødovre”?
Find out in a pronunciation course!
Danish phonetics are in a league of their own, and many people find that pronouncing Danish words is a barrier to their ability and courage to speak Danish in everyday life. Therefore, it can really pay off to devote extra energy to cracking the code of Danish pronunciation.
Often you cannot hear when you are making mistakes in pronunciation, or understand why it is so difficult to produce the right sounds. Our pronunciation course teachers can give you individual feedback on what you need to work on, and how. Even though the themes are set in advance, we work with words and phrases based on your everyday life.
You only receive two lessons at a time in a pronunciation course, as practicing pronunciation is demanding for the mind and your vocal muscles. We make sure that you get a thorough review of the main challenges, but in a tempo that you can keep up with.
You will have the opportunity to practice with others facing the same problems – in a safe room where we can laugh together about the hopeless Danish sounds, but without laughing at each other.
Learning goals and levels in a pronunciation course
The pronunciation course is for students at all levels, as the challenges of pronunciation are the same regardless of whether you’ve just started learning Danish or have spoken Danish well for many years.
This is a supplementary course that focuses exclusively on pronunciation. If you are a beginner or in the starting stages of learning Danish, we recommend that you take one of our standard courses alongside this course.
A pronunciation course can be part of an extended process of learning Danish:
- You can take the course alongside another course.
- You can take the course during a break between other courses.
- Or you can take it long after you have completed your Danish studies.
Although our pronunciation course has a sole focus on one aspect of learning a foreign language – pronunciation – we still base the learning goals on CEFR.
Not all students in the pronunciation course will have the same learning goals. Rather, we will provide the pronunciation training needed to make it easier for you to achieve the language skills appropriate for your level.
We adapt the instruction for you and your classmates, and we can provide individual feedback and materials to suit your individual needs.
Questions about the pronunciation course
Are you in doubt about whether a pronunciation course is the right choice for you, or do you have questions about the course method and structure?
You are always welcome to contact us by e-mail, telephone or by dropping by our offices in Vesterbro.